Winslow Township Fire Department-Station 256
Albion Volunteer Fire Company
- Captain Brian Tomlin
- Lieutenant Stephen Bell
- President Mark Mangaro, Sr.
- Vice-President Megan Juliano
- Secretary Josh King
- Treasurer Bruce Komito
- Ryan Kenney
- George Hewitt Jr.
- Gary Cole
The initial meeting to organize the Albion Volunteer Fire Co. was held May 19, 1960 in the Albion School, which is now the Albion Bible Church. The ladies who were to later become the Ladies Auxiliary also attended this meeting. Robert C. Madden was elected President.
Our first piece of equipment was purchased in July of the same year and was housed in a private garage. Ground was broken for our Fire Hall on October 30, 1960. We purchased our second piece of equipment from the Essington Fire Co. No. 1 of Essington, Pennsylvania, on the same day as the dedication of our building, September 16, 1962.
After a serious fire in apt 16A Surrey Ave. Apartments IN 1969, we purchased our first SCBA, and two Scott II A’s from Comet Fire Equipment. In 1971 we purchased a 1962 GMC oil delivery truck from Pine Hill Fuel Co. and converted it into our first and only tanker.
One year later, the switchboard operator at Ancora State Hospital could now activate our station siren via telephone lines and relays. It was also the year the township established one (1) fire reporting number for the entire Winslow Township.
In 1973 we added our first home alerting equipment. Six (6) Instalerts from Electronics Corp. were purchased and paid for by our individual members. The company purchased its first rescue utility truck from Barrington Fire Company in 1975.
We purchased first dress uniforms in 1976 from Oakwood Uniform. In 1977 we purchased a new 1000 GPM pumper from Luvern Fire Apparatus Company, Luvern, Minnesota. In 1985 two (2) additional bays were added to the original building.
In 1985, a Hahn-Grumman Telesqurt from Fireline Sales was added to our equipment.